Thursday, December 2, 2010

My artblock is my sanity (crack musings, undoubtedly)

This was originally going to be a Tumblr post, but it turned into a novel so it prompted me to remember that I have this thing. Click for a fairly long read. :\

A lot of my friends seem to be in various states of crazy lately, and I began to wonder why I myself have felt so normal these past few months. Then, today, I drew something that surprised myself: I drew my characters snapping and doing something deranged. Then I pulled back and looked at what I had just drawn, and I surprised myself. But then I realized what the subject of the drawing was: my own characters. Then something in my head clicked.
As most of you know (as I can't seem to shut up about it), I've been going through a kind of creative block for a while now, and most of what I have produced has been fan art and the like. Aha! A pattern emerges! Following this train of thought, I realized that the two things I have been the most into during this period are Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy VII, things which I praise mostly for their crazy mindfuckery. Other games that I've played recently are fun, have nice characters, and follow really neat plot lines but just don't seem to grab me the same way for whatever reason. I'll play them and enjoy them and occasionally scribble some fandoodles but most of my time and thought goes into untangling those two aforementioned games.

After this revelation, I decided to try and remember the time within the last year that I have been most prolific in developing my own ideas, and it was at this point I realized that that time was the week I spent in the hospital in February, staring at a static TV screen.
My creativity is my insanity. When I'm really gone, it manifests itself into stories and characters. When it's less extreme, it just latches on to something nearby that shares its same properties, generally my own fears and obsessions. When it's sleeping, I am unable to attach any deep thought to any one subject, and my ability to make stories and art sleeps too.

I think I've finally found the source of my art block, and now I'm not sure if I want my creativity back.

1 comment:

  1. AHA YOU'RE A NUTJOB, WELCOME TO THE CLUB

    Also I like how dramatic this is/has to be

    ReplyDelete